Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Thursday, December 22, 2005

It was a Hoya that got me "hooked" on growing. Back in high school, I was dating my ex who's mom was growing a lot of really cool plants, which I later came to know as succulents. She grew things like Aloe vera, Mother-of-Thousands Kalanchoe, Bird's Nest Sanseveria - common stuff for the most part. She gave me starts to grow myself. One day, my then-boyfriend brought me a Hoya - the common variegated carnosa. I was enthralled at the pretty leaves and I was careful to take very good care of it. It was such a thrill to watch it grow and "ooo" and "awww" over the attractive new growth! A year or so later, I had subscribed to a magazine called Houseplants & Porch Gardens and they had an article about Hoyas and I discovered, to my delight, that there are lots of varieties of Hoya! But other than a couple of very common ones, I never found any others locally. When I finally got a computer and got hooked to the web, my first search was for Hoyas and a whole new world opened up! Since then, I've collected quite a few more and look forward to continuing to expand my collection...





This is Hoya tsangsii and I chose to ramble about this Hoya because it's the one in bloom for me right now. And - wow! - is it blooming up a storm! Hoya tsangsii is one of the little Hoyas with leaves only about 1" long with a leathery texture. The edges of the leaves take on a dark, bronzy tone when they get good light. It's not one of the climbers, but a trailer. I got this one about two years ago at - of all places - Home Depot. It was an Exotic Angel plant, so I repotted it right away into a more "home friendly" mix. (I've found EA plants are in a mix that is WAY too easy to both under and over water!) I use the same mix for all of my plants - coir and an additive like perlite for good drainage. While some plants go into a temporary dormancy when they're repotted, I don't think this tsangsii missed a beat and seemed to, in fact, charge forward with new growth. Within a year, I had my first buds and blooms and, about 6 months ago, it started to explode with new peduncles. A few days ago, I counted 11 peduncles in varying stages of blooming! That's a LOT for a small Hoya! I detect no scent at all, which is the only disappointment I have with this Hoya. (I read on Christina Burton's website that she thinks they smell like carmel, but I can detect no scent whatsoever...) Each bloom cluster is about 1" across with 12-20 individual flowers. It's a great little Hoya that I recommend highly. I would categorize it as "easy" for both growing and blooming. It can take quite a bit of sun, but I suggest morning sun is best. I had mine in a south window for awhile and it started to get some yellow leaves, which don't hurt anything but just don't look particularly attractive. With all my Hoyas, I water them when they start to dry out and feed with Eleanor's VF-11, both in the water and through foliar feeding.



Tomorrow: more Hoya pics.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home