Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Sunday, November 04, 2012

My mom spent 12 days with my brother.  Wes has mesothelia  to - the cancer associated with asbestos.  He was diagnosed 15 years ago.  If you know anything about mesothelioma, that sounds crazy.  Back when he was diagnosed, I did some research and if I believed what I read about it, I would be losing my brother within a couple of years if it ran its typcial course.  I was beside myself, but kept my feelings to myself.  Wanted to be supportive of Wes, but also didn't want to alarm my mom.  Not that she was naive.  But she was (as I'm sure most parents are) in denial.  But time passed...it was a RARE case of this cancer being dormant.

Well, apparently they think it "switched on" very recently, and it's growing.  So he's going through chemo.  Sally, his wife, has had her own health issues.  A viral infection in her heart this summer, from which she's recovering.  Her family goes to Florida each fall, so Mom went out to stay with Wes so Sally could go with her family. 

So it seems Wes's chemo is going well.  The first one was a little rough.  Ok, not a little rough.  A LOT rough.  He had to go to the emergency room on the 3rd day after because he was vomiting and needed fluids.  The second round (they were doing them every 3 weeks) was a little better, but still a little rough.  He had his 3rd while Mom was there and it went well...  Maybe the "mommy effect"???  Whatever it is, YOU GO WES!!!  He's my hero for going through all he has in his life and still coming out with his very good attitude!

Anyway, I'm sure happy to have Mom back in town.  I just wish Wes could be closer...  But Sally's family is out there.  I understand her need to be close to her family, and Wes's wish to make Sally happy.  It's all good.  Maybe we can't be together all the time now, but we will be someday....in some realm...



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home