Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Saturday, December 24, 2005

Hoya kerrii is one you'll need plenty of room to grow. The thick, stiff stems go where they want and there's really no training them. The heart shaped leaves allude to it's common name - Sweetheart Hoya. The leaves very succulent and can get pretty large - 5" long or even more. I keep mine up high in the greenhouse so it gets lots of sun and it seems to love it up there. Flowers are waxy and cream colored with deep red corollas. I can detect only the faintest scent and it's not anything I find extraordinary. The most important thing to know about H. kerrii is it should not be grown over carpeting as the flowers weep a staining, red sap after a few days. It can be quite messy! I have also recently aquired two other varieties of H. kerrii - one that's a fuzzy variety and one that's a veined variety. They're both rooted cuttings, so I guess we'll see how they do after the winter...















One of my favorite Hoyas, probably because it closely resembles the old H. carnosa, is H. pubicalyx. It has silvery leaves that range from a few flecks of silver on green to more silvery than green. Here's a good example of the beautiful leaves...
I had mine for quite a few years and it was huge when I got my greenhouse. It had never flowered, although it had grown profusely over the years. Within 6 months of putting it in my greenhouse, I got my first bloom. I have no idea if it was the greenhouse or the age of the plant or a combination of both. But I have to say that the flowers were well worth the wait! The fragrance absolutely knocked my socks off! In the evening after the sun sets, the aroma hangs thick
in the air. It's a sweet, musky smell and you can expect to smell it for three or four nights before it starts to fade. The entire flower cluster is about 5" across with 20-30 individual flowers making up a cluster. It's not exactly a generous bloomer for me - the most "in progress" blooms I've ever had at one time are three. This one is a real climber and is trainable, but be prepared to put up with the "wild look" if you're not persistent. I find it an outstanding Hoya for ease and beauty.


Well, more next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home