Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Thursday, March 26, 2009



Another great day in paradise! Things are growing like crazy... Flowers are opening and filling the air with an interesting aromatic mixture. Right now, nicholsonaie and fungii have open blooms, and the all-green shoots from 'KP' that I have in the GH has had an open bloom for several days.



H. pubicalyx 'Royal Hawaiin Purple' has had peduncles for awhile, and they're finally starting to bud up. And, oh, is it putting on some pretty new leaves! Take a look...
Beautiful! When they mature, they go back to plain green. I love that splotchy purple, even if it is just temporary... Some people have a clone of 'RHP' that gets the purple splotches that mature into silver - wish I could get my hands on on piece of it!

I took down H. pubicalyx 'Bright One' today to water and give it a bath with VH-11 and found that it has 5 new growth points and 2 peduncles forming. So that one should also bloom for me this summer. It has one vine that's about 6' long!! It's funny how 'RHP' and 'BO' aren't so much climbers like my 'Pink Silver.' You'd thing the pubicalyx genes would make them all grow about the same way... Both 'RHP' and 'BO' grow long vines that aren't interested in climbing at all, it would seem.
My 'Krimson Queen' seems to like it's "new" (since last fall) spot in a north window in the sunroom. It's putting on new growth in several places and looks fabulous. I've got it positioned under a trellis that I put in front of a window several years ago - at one time, had one of those monster split-leaf Philodendrons that grew on it. I think 'KQ' will do well there. I may never get flowers in a north window, but I don't really grow it for the flowers because they're just like all the other carnosa blooms, and I have plenty of them that bloom for me. This one I grow solely for the beautifully variegated foliage...
I split up my Oncidium today. I had no idea it had gotten so big - split it into 2 plants, and had a third small one. There's new growth on both. I'll give one back to Mom, who I originally got from her (offsets from hers, and she lost her original plant...) Maybe I can get it to bloom this year.

I also got three new Orchids at the Orchid show this last weekend. One is labeled Bulbophyllum mirum - it's mounted on a piece of wood. I added some
sphagnum moss to it because I read that it should be watered twice a day, and I'm hoping the sphagnum will help it retain water in case I don't think of it twice a day! It's a cute little thing. Another is labeled Tolumnia genting sunshine - it's a tiny little thing in a 1.5" pot with a flower spike (unopened flowers). It's another adorable one. The third is Maxillaria tenuifolia - it's such a cool plant! Perfectly round bulbs that are about the size of a puffed up quarter, with grassy leaves emerging out of the bulbs. The flowers come from down by the bulbs. I bought one that's not blooming, but the seller pointed out to me that it has buds. Can't wait! Will post pics as they bloom for me...

Well, off to start supper...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home