Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Tuesday, December 23, 2008


















I've been growing Hoya fungii for a few years - I got my plant from Shoal Creek Succulents in the fall of '05. It was a well-rooted cutting, more or less, and it has grown like a weed ever since. I like the weird way it grows - it will have vines like the carnosa and pubicalyx species, but then it will get one of these clusters of leaves like in the photo above. The leaves are large and the veins are distinct because of the texture. And it's an easy flowerer. The flower photo above was an especially impressive one, with over 75 individual flowers in the cluster! That's the most flowers I've ever seen in one cluster on a Hoya. The flowers are very much like carnosa, but a little more fragrant. I should probably move it up to a bigger pot this next spring, but that's going to be a real challenge! It's gotten so large!!

My Dischidia ovata is flowering again. It's such a quaint little flower. The clusters, like this one, open with more buds behind them. They hide in the foliage, so if you're not watching for them (or checking constantly), you might potentially miss the flowering phase completely!
D. ovata is probably my favorie Dischidia for it's stunning foliage. I have a couple different clones. My first I got from Yale, and it's leaves are smaller and more succulent. The other I got from CBFM and it was a good sized plant, it's leaves larger and less succuelent. The one that has flowered for me is the one from CBFM. Both have those beautiful "watermellon" markings and are irresistable!
Hoyas that are showing signs of growth (that don't always do so) include... latifolia; aldrichii (not so much "growth" as looking-good-older-foliage!); inconspicua and davidcummingii (both of which were cuttings last summer...); purpuero-fusca (which arrived a little "iffy" but has since put on a new leaf, with the old ones looking healthier...); vanuatuensis (growing in my bedroom, has put on lots of new growth, despite winter's grayness...); speckled lacunosa has grown a bit. There's plenty to enjoy even this time of year. As the days put on even just a few more minutes of daylight, I see new growth...
I got a new computer from Dell last week. It's been so stressful, trying to get all the stuff off the old computer onto the new, and figuring out the new "glitches" involved with new/updated programs. And it's doubley tough, because I took my old computer to work and am dealing with the same problems there as here. But once I've gotten past all the problems, I'm sure it will have been well worth it. Though I must say - it may be a bit like childbirth: if you could remember the horror of it all, you would never do it again!!
Off to bed!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home