Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Friday, February 08, 2008

Yesterday, I spent some time out in the greenhouse looking at plants and making some written observations so I could record them here for future reference... Here are some of my notes...

Hoya fungii has three new growing tips! I have a feeling I'm going to see this one grow by leaps and bounds this year. After having a peduncle with 75 individual flowers, I'm excited to see what it does this year!

Hoya nicholsonii put out two new shoots last fall, but I see no signs of new growth yet this spring. It's looking very happy and healthy, though, so I'll bet it will get going here soon...

Hoya 'Krinkle 8', which I got as a cutting from Yale Sedman in the spring of '06, has put on some beautiful new growth this winter. I got 3 small cuttings from him (or maybe it was one large one and I cut it in three - I can't really remember...), and all rooted, but only one put on any new growth, and a couple months ago, it split at the growth point and now has two stems. Now I see that there is new growth on both of the other cuttings, so it should be a good year for 'Krinkle 8'. The new growth is so shiney and healthy looking - it could easily turn into a favorite.

Hoya rubra, the old carnosa-like Hoya, it sprouting new growth everywhere. I repotted it - was it last year?? - and although it did grow some last year, it wasn't a record year for it, and it didn't bloom quite as much as it usually does. It looks like it must be settled in its new pot now from the looks of the new growth.

Hoya bhutanica fared very well over the winter. I have it in a good sized heavy pot, but it's so top heavy with foliage that it's not very stable. There are a few new points of growth, but I'm really hoping it'll bloom up a storm for me this year. I can only find one peduncle on it, and if I remember correctly, it started to bud out last summer but aborted before it got too far...

Hoya cv. 'Minibelle', which I also got as a cutting from Yale in spring '06, has some new growth, but what was really exciting was that it set two buds last month. One aborted before it got too far, but the second opened a week or so ago. Now, it's a small flower cluster, mind you, as they often are when they first start blooming, but it's very exciting to have a carnosa cultivar bloom so quickly! It hasn't even grown that much really - usually, carnosa has to be big and old to bloom, so it was a surprise... And the fragrance was lovely, like lilacs.

Hoya wayetii - the one in the kitchen has two new bronze growth points! I'd love to see that one (and the tsangii that sits next to it...) put on some peduncles, but I suppose that's asking too much for plants that sit in a north window... And my big wayetii (that hangs in the bedroom) looks great and I anticipate it will be popping some new growth soon, too. I think I see one new shoot, but it's hard to say for sure until it puts on a new leaf...

Hoya 'Iris Marie' is putting on TONS of new growth. It starts out very bronze, which is kind of weird for such a thin-leaved Hoya. The leaves on it remind me a lot of Ficus benjamina. I'm anxious to see how it does this year...

Hoya serpens looks a little shitty - it's developed some yellow leaves which have dropped. But it has two new flowers forming, so it's hanging in there apparently!

Dischidia ovata (which I got from Cowboyflowerman last summer) is growing like a freakin' weed! It's absolutely stunning, but even more exciting is that I found two flower clusters hidden in all that foliage. There may be more - I'll have to do a thorough search. I'm anxious to see the open flowers as I'm not sure what color they are. Porbably white...

Both my Echeveria agavoides have flower spikes - one has a single, the other a double. I can't remember them blooming before, so I'm hoping they're not "terminal" flowers. They both have offsets, but I love the main plants and REALLY don't want to lose them.

And that's all my notes for now. I'll be back out in the GH today and will try to get more notes posted (and maybe get some pics taken) this weekend.

1 Comments:

At 6:11 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Hoyas are so amazing! I have only one variagated one and it is very small...I am waiting for some action from it! LOL.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home