Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Monday, November 05, 2012


It's been awhile since I've rambled on about my Hoyas, so today I'd like to start a ramble about what new ones I aquired this summer.  These first two I got from Jessica (aka GreedyGhost  on GW).  They had a good start to rooting when I got them, and they were both small cuttings of very small Hoyas, so I've got them in the same pot.  They're also very, VERY similar, and I'm not sure I'd know which is which if the tags go missing!  This first one is H. dickensoniana...
It has grow pretty significantly from the tip and just keeps getting longer and longer, and though I've been tempted to lop it off and root some back into the pot, I decided to wait until next spring to do that.  But what I did do was pinch the growing tip.  I'm excited to report that it worked like a charm!  There is a teeny-tiny new vine starting at the base!!  Yay!  It hardly every works that well!  Usually, you'll get a new growth point somewhere along the vine, sometimes way too close to the growing tip. 

Now see if you can tell the difference in the two - here is the other one, H. engleriana...
Both of these are said to be similar to bella and I would have to agree, though the leaves are much, much smaller.  This engleriana sounds like it may be a difficult species to grow - that it's fussy about running too dry.  It says it tends to drop leaves when unhappy, and I notice a brand new vine that has shot out rather quickly does have some yellow leaves on it.  I'll have to watch it closely to make sure it doesn't over-dry.

H. sipitangensis is another one I got from Jessica...
This is a nice little species, too.  More succulent with very nice, shiny, dark green leaves.  It has started new growth twice, but it keep aborting the new leaves.  I'm not sure what that's about - I can't find a whole lot of info about this species.

H. cv. 'Rebecca' is one of the few that survived from my Epiphytica order...
It was in questionable shape when I got it, so I took cuttings and started them.  The mother plant bounced back after a few weeks, so I put them all together.  It had some pretty coloring when I got it, so I'm hoping that next summer, I can give it enough sun that it will get those "sun-kissed" red tones again...  It really brings out the veining.

Another one from Jessica is buottii.  I know I got this species from Dee at one time, but lost it.  I'm happy to say it's well rooted and actually putting on new growth...
Can you see the little new vine poking out from the leaf node?  Yay!  I'm going to try to keep this pinched back.  I've read it's a lot like 'Iris Marie', which grows pretty wild.  In fact, I plan to whack up my 'IM' this winter and root up a bunch of cuttings.  My hope is that the mother plant will restart from the woody stems and I'll try to keep it more compact, or I'll keep some cuttings to start a new one all together.

Most of my Ted Green cuttings have rooted.  There are two left in the rooting dome, only because he cuts them in a way that makes them REALLY hard to root.  I this Ted's a great guy, but his cuttings are small, healthy as all get out, but SMALL!  And often, he cuts them so there's hardly any stem at all, and I hate to lop off two of the leaves when there are often not more than four all together!  So here are the rooted ones... 

First is loyceandresiana.  This particular one had only the one leaf.  A large leaf, mind you, a healthy leaf, but just the one.  Thankfully, there was a nice stem to root it...

This makes me think of latifolia.  It's going to be one of my favs!

Then we have fitchii...

This was a really stingy cutting.  Only the two leaves and a bit of stem.  But it rooted fast and if I can get it through the winter, I'm sure it'll be fine.  I wish he'd just say, "My mother plant is rather small right now so I can't offer a very generous cutting," and I would have probably picked something else.  I guess maybe I shouldn't wait until so late in the season to order from him...

H. paulshirleyii was more generous, but one of those with a difficult stem to root...

This one is a fairly fleshy one, so I think I'm really going to like it. 

H. platycaulis is an interesting one...

...and it's actually got new growth on it, too!  A thin-leaved species, it reminds me a bit of lobbii, on a smaller scale.

And the last one that has rooted is danumensis...
I bought this one for the flowers - photos show they're whie and cup-shaped, very pretty.  I can't wait for it to grow up and bloom!  It's thinner leaved than I had anticipaed, but I do like it.  
I have the two others that are still rooting, both have little tiny roots starting (finally!) so I'll consider them out of the woods soon and post photos. 

Now, about the Dischidias I got from Tom at UNO.  Since I really don't know the species, I'm just going to show photos...


Below are two different shingle-type Dischidias.  The one on the bottom is the one I've been able to grow (not particularly well) in with some other plants.  That one, I put in a flat with orchid bark and am keeping it fairly moist to see if I can get it to form a kind of "carpet" on the bark.  The bigger one, I put on a nice chunk of cork bark I bought (cost me over 30 bucks with shipping!!)  I have a feeling it's going to be hard to keep it moist enough like that, but we'll see.  My plan is to soak it at least once a week and to try to remember to spray it every day.  I'll put photos up later of them as mounted...

This one makes me think of my fasciated acuminata, but there's no fasciation, so I'm wondering if it could be plain acuminata.  I haven't done much research on it yet...

I think this flower was on ramosii, which I do grow but hasn't bloomed for me yet.  It took me about 20 photos to get one clear enough to see.  They're so tiny, you could blink and miss them!

Everything else is stuff I've already got, I'm pretty sure.  As they take and start to grow, I'll be posting more photos...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home