Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Thursday, March 14, 2013

I came home yesterday to Howard (our mailman) standing on my porch with a big ol' box - plants from Gardino's!  I was excited... Their plants are always so awesome.  Paula had been kind enough to hold the plants I wanted and ship them when I asked, and when they predicted it would be warmish this week, I told her last Friday to go ahead and ship Mon. or Tues.  Well, what I didn't anticipate (and what they didn't predict) was that we would get over a foot of snow on Sunday!  They said we'd get a little bit - started out 1/2", then they said we might get up to a couple inches.  The Omaha metro area got between 6-9", depending where you were!  We must have been in an isolated area because it looks like Papillion got less than half that.

Anyway, it wasn't as warm as they had predicted yesterday, but it wasn't awful - high of 35.  I'm glad they didn't sit on the porch for any length of time, though...

Anyway, they're all in great shape.  Hoya kenejiana is one that I've had before, and actually, I was able to salvage one little piece of it.  Once I'm secure that they're both stable with some new growth, I'll put them together.  Here's the Gardino kenejiana:

H. neobudica is another one I had briefly - it was one of the cuttings I got from Joni in Dec. that spent too long in the mail...

It's a pretty thing, and pretty good sized, too!

H. pusilla reminds me of 'Iris Marie', doesn't look like the photos I've seen of pusilla.  I suppose their ID could be incorrect.  I guess we'll see as it grows...

Hoya sp. (pottsii) from Cambodia is a nice one!  Of course, I always like the bigger leaved veined ones...

The leaves on this one are impressively shiney and a little less veined than some of my other pottsii clones.

And last, a little one called H. krohniana...

This little gem is my favorite of the bunch!  I read that it was once considered a clone of lacunosa, so I hope that means it will grow well for me because I seem to have pretty good luck with lacunosa.

So this morning I e-mailed Joni with my "wish list" for mid-April.  Then that will probably be it for this year, except for maybe some trading.  I have a kind-hearted lady who is going to send me a few that I lost from the Thai vendor last summer.  That will be a "pay-it-forward" deal, so I'll make sure I get some cuttings or plants out to someone else who has lost something or had a bad experience or fallen on hard times.  It's great that plant folks are such generous souls, and I want to be one of them!

Off to get ready for work...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home