Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Monday, April 08, 2013

Sunday...
Well, the snow was a biggie, but not really what I'd call a blizzard.  It was a lights snow, and it didn't blow around at all, really.  It ended up being about 9" here at home, doesn't look like we got as much at work.  In Papillion, a little can look like a LOT real fast because it DOES tend to blow down there, even when it's not so much here.  (What a difference 7 miles can make!)  But it wasn't bad.  Got to work yesterday and found that our lot-clearing guy hadn't been there yet (a full 30 hours after it had stopped snowing) so I called him and he was there pretty quick.  We're supposed to get a little more snow tonight/tomorrow and maybe into Tues., though it's not supposed to accumulate more than 1-3 inches.  It sounds like there's a good chance it'll be a heavier snow, though.

I'm trying to spend some time in the GH today.  I just finished watering a shelf of plants (the ones that needed it - when it's been cold like this, the bigger ones don't need watered very often...)  I'm not finding a LOT of new growth yet, but every one I find a growth nubbin on gets me excited for spring!  What kind of caught me off guard was looking at my four largest Crown of Thorns.  They all seem to be showing signs of new leaves, but two of them are actually developing buds!  CofT usually don't start growing this early so I'm a little surprised... especially since those four sit at the back of the GH where they really aren't getting a lot of light.

I found some new leaves on H. mindorensis - I grow this in a stoneware soup bowl in the sunroom.  It grows nicely for me, but it has yet to flower.  I'm thinking of moving it to a sunnier spot.  Next to it sits the noID I got from Colorada Kathy - it's also got a new nubbin on it, though no signs of leaves on the nubbin yet.  What I find interesting is that even though these two do not get a lot of light, they're some of the first to shows signs of growth.  Connecting this with the Crown fo Thorns, I'm wondering now if I'm on to something here... hmmm.

Monday...
Our electricity will be going out any minute.  As I pulled into the driveway today at about 3:45, I heard a big "CRRRAAACK!!" and as I parked, I looked up and saw the electric wires that go over my neighbor's back yard to a pole behind our year violently swinging in the air.  I got out and hoofed it down the driveway to see that someone coming up 42nd Street had smacked into the pole hard enough to break it in two pieces!! WOW!!  Anyway, about an hour later, I went out to take a photo of the pole and there was an OPPD guy out there and he came up and told me we'll be without electricity for about 3 hours tonight while they replace the pole.  YIKES!  I've turned up the heat (our house gets cold FAST as we have no insulation...) and the heater in the GH, hoping to get it as warm in there as possible.  It's not horribly cold outside (31 right now), thankfully, but I'm sure now that it's dark, it won't take long for the GH to get cold.  The OPPD truck is out there, but I think they're waiting on a pole...

Mark - he's such a dick!  Even though we know the lights will be going out soon, he took off to go to the bar.  I told him I'd like him to stay home so I don't have to hang out in the dark by myself.  But that's Mark.  I've always said he has "only child syndrome"...  I don't mean to insult decent people who are only children - I don't think they're all like that.  But it's so freakin' obvious to me that he was a spoiled only child.  What HE wants to do supercedes all other's wishes.  It's times like these I wonder what would happen if I really, REALLY needed him.  I shudder to think... 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home