Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

It's certainly been awhile since I posted!!  We've had a crazy summer at work.  July was slow, but we got into August, and I've been running my ass off ever since!!  And boy have we been making...MONEY

Let's just say it's been a GOOD year!  Big jobs, many jobs, good bars.  The universe is treating us well, for sure.  I'll have to expand on this in the future, as I don't feel I can do so right now...

But what I can do is talk about Mom.  In early or mid-September, she started talking about wanting to do lunches.  Wow, really MOM???  She has been (what we call) "semi-retired" for a few years.  She spent a couple years training Amanda to cook EXACTLY as she does (since our food is what we are most famous for...) and Amanda does a pretty dang good job.  And in the last couple years, she mostly comes in on Tuesdays and does cleanup from the weekend, puts together an order for our food supplier, and resets the buffet for the next job, goes to Sam's on Thursdays, and makes an appearance on the day of our reception, going home early.  "Semi" retired...  But I guess after so long, she was getting an "itch" for something more.  Lunches, REALLY???  But I was excited that SHE was excited about something.  I especially don't want her sitting around and thinking about Wes's last days.  And I'm sure HE doesn't, either, which is probably where this inspiration came from. 

So we've been experimenting with it.  We've been open now for a month, testing lunches.  She did this back in... oh, I'm gonna say 1988, over in the industrial area of Omaha, about 89th & J, where she had a half a bay, a kitchen for her "out" catering.  It was successful...  Well, it has not been here.  I think there is too much competition over here.  Where she was before, there were only a couple close places one could go for lunch - a Wendy's and some other not-so-fast restaurant.  Over here, we have...Taco Bell, Fazoli's, Wendy's, McDonald's, a plethura of Oriental restaurants, Runza and Burger King are only a hop-skip-and-jump away.  That's not even to mention IHOP, Applebee's, Chili's... Of course, our food is more like home cookin', so once they try it, they seem to love it.  But getting them in... it's been tough.  We're losin' our asses, let's just say it!  If it would take off, it would be a good little money maker through the slow months.  But the way it's going, it will only be a drain on our finances.  I wish I had some magic solution...

November 2013:  not ONE job.  November 2014:  5 jobs plus Lion's.  Wowwww, what's up with that?  Like I said...2014 has been a stellar year!!  I think Wes must be watching out for us and sending us jobs.  Love you, brother!  I know you know how much we want to... well, put Mom is a very comfortable financial position.  And I think you're lookin' after your ol' sis, too, huh?  You rock and I love ya!
I miss you so damn much.  I know you're here, hangin' with us.  There for all the special moments, for all the everyday moments.  I talk to you so much, in the car especially. And I know you hear me.  I see the signs.  I feel you.  And I know we are as simpatico as we were while you were here, but I have to admit... I miss your voice, seeing you, hugging you.  Oh, how I wish I had hugged you more!  You are my sunshine!...

Ok, so on to plant STUFF...  It's been a great fall.  I actually still have some plants outside - a couple Jades and a few others.  I'm pretty much out of space inside.  I've sold several of the larger Hoyas I've had for sale (thankfully).  But here's an interesting one:  about 6 or so weeks ago, I was looking over my Dischidia nummularia and saw these odd things I'd never seen before...
Of course, I figured out they were seed horns, but I'd never seen any quite like these!  A few weeks later, when I brought it in, here's what I found...
  Seed "fluff"!  Of course, I can't grow from seed worth a dang, but I thought it was still pretty exciting to get seed.  My Dischidia pectinoides actually bloomed!!...
 I couldn't believe my eyes!  I've grown this one I don't know how many times and always lost it.  This time seems to be the charm - it's done well for me and now that it's even bloomed, I have a little more confidence.

Well, that's about it for now.  I'll get back at this when we have another lull at work!

 











0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home