Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Friday, March 21, 2014

Plants are a-percolatin'

Things are really starting to **POP** in the GH and in the sunroom!  Well, all over the house, really...Those leaves on 'Dee's Big One' are starting to grow.  Last time I posted, I commented on the tiny new leaves that formed last fall then stopped growing.  I didn't know if they would now grow, or they would abort with spring and I'd have to cut it back. Well, YAY, they're starting to grow!  

Hoya siariae, which I've had in the sunroom for some time, has either two new leaves or two new growth points (hard to tell which at this point...)  This is truly signficant because I have had this little cutting since 2010!  It's 4 years old!  I got it from Dee in Florida and it rooted, but then I believe it was the next season that it started to falter.  I seem to recall that I put it in the aquarium where it sat for a long, long time.  Then, once it looked better, it simply just sat there, not doing much of anything.  I'm sure I've gotten SOME growth since I got it, but obviously not much.  Here's a photo of it today...
I think this will be a nice one once it gets going.  You can't tell from the photo so much, but the veins are nicely prominent.

The other one on the same shelf that's got a growth nubbin' is H. vitellinoides, a particularly pretty species.  When I got the cutting from Kathy in 2012, it had two leaves - one massive one, and one a little smaller.  It rooted quickly and put on two new leaves, and that's all it's done for me.  Well, I'm sure excited to see what happens next - another gigantic leaf, or smaller ones like I got before?  Here's the giant leaf with the two newer ones...
It's a real beauty!  

Also in the sunroom is carnosa ssp. carnosa that I got from Carol in 2006 - wow, that makes it 8 years old!  A couple years ago, I moved it to a large pot as it had become hopelessly rootbound in a 6" pot.  I moved it up to a biggun' - it's probably a 12" pot, maybe even bigger.  So it didn't grow much in the last couple years, I suppose setting out new roots.  It was in the GH for a long time, then last year I moved it to the sunroom.  It must be settled in nicely now.  It's been putting on small amount of new growth for the last several months, but I see lots of new growth coming on now that spring is here.  I have a feeling it will grow by leaps and bounds this year.  Maybe this will be the year it blooms for me!
I love the super-long, apple green leaves.  It's very different from the standard carnosa.  Carol now has a new name for it, which escapes me right now.  I'll find it later and post it.  The new leaves start out relatively thin and somewhat pale green, then the green brightens up as it matures, and as they age, they become succulent.  

I started this post a week or so ago, so I better get it published so I can start a new one!  But first, I wanted to show a photo of how my bathroom window turned out with the new "rag garland"...
I've been trying to figure out for a long time how to hide that homely rod without something that would hang and block some of the light.  This worked out perfectly!!
 




 

1 Comments:

At 1:43 AM, Blogger Julie said...

Nice update! Interesting rag garland.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home