Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Doing a bit more watering and inspecting today...

Hoya dasyantha - Somewhere along the way, I read that this is likely very closely related to carnosa, which I can see.  But I love this Hoya.  The leaves are bigger, more robust than carnosa, and there's just something intrinsically wonderful about this species.  It's grown well for me.  I don't see any signs of new growth yet, but it's just so very healthy.  It sits in the east sunroom window...
The leaves show their veins more than carnosa, and they're pointier - they stay very shiny.  

On the same shelf is the unknown Hoya I got from Kathy E.  It has 4 new growth points, 3 of which are all on the same tip, one that got cut off and is closer to the soil line.  It's really going to take off.  Maybe once it blooms, I can get a definitive ID on it...


And I have to show off my silly kitty.  I emptied my little trash can here next to the computer last evening and this morning, Miss Cleo decided it was a cool place to play...

Of course, her brother, Spike, had to get into the picture.  It's an interesting picture - I've always said Cleo and Spike have typical yellow/green cat eyes, whereas Pearl and Bella have more blue eyes.  Spike's REALLY look GREEN here!!  Cute!

I've been voiceless for about a week.  Two weeks ago yesterday, I "tipped over" to a sinus infection.  By that I mean I've felt somethin' a-brewin' in my sinuses for several weeks.  I wish I knew what would tip it the other way...  Anyway, it went over and I was in utter misery for several days, then I lost my voice, as I typically do, as that is my weakness...  Well, in the last few hours, it seems to be breaking!!  I've gone from barely only being able to whisper to a gravelly voice.  YAY!  This is a good sign!  I've been known to lose my voice up to two full weeks before it begins to break, so I'm very pleased it's coming along this fast... Everything feels "looser", thankfully.  I haven't been in my bed much in the last couple weeks, because when I lay down, it all seems to "coagulate" in my throat & chest, and it's very uncomfortable and hard to sleep.  So I've spent a lot of time sleeping in my chair.  Not the best sleep, but better than hacking and tossing and turning in the bed...

Anyway, today is our 25th anniversary.  A quarter of a century!  Geez, who'd-a-thunk?  As Mark would say, with that sweet look on his face... "Honey, it feels like it's only been 20 minutes........ under water!"  Haha, funny man!
<=]
He thinks he's SOOO funny!  

Well, I'll try to get back to write more soon.  Work is getting busy now, which is good, but April is slow - not just slow, but OMG slow!!  So I'll have plenty of time to document what's goin' on with the plants.  Sooo, more later!



1 Comments:

At 8:13 PM, Blogger Julie said...

do you use bleach? just wanted to share that bleach causes me flu/sinus/asthma symptoms, that over time of years whenever exposed to bleach, were getting worse. one of the things that would happen tho, was that i would lose my voice for a week to week and a half! i went to an ENT, and he thought it was due to ANXIETY! he wanted to put me on freakin Valium! This was in the early 80's i finally discovered that it happened whenever i used bleach!!!!! i stopped for a year and never had any more laryngitis! I tested it a few times either on purpose, or by accident, when i would come into contact with bleach somewhere. same reaction! its the strangest thing,It just felt compelled to share my story just in case you may be experiencing the same thing. I called the FDA back then to report my symptoms to them and they basically stated that so many people have these same problems with bleach! They did not care about my story because it was so common! good grief! well good luck with everything!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home