Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Thursday, February 05, 2015

We have success!  I'm guessing sometime in December, I started 3 pots full of australis ssp. tenuipes cuttings.  I wish I could remember why...  I remember the cuttings were somewhat dehydrated, but I don't think I took them off my main plant.  I didn't record it in my blog, so now I don't remember the details.  But anyway, I put the 3 pots in bags and did the "blow it up and seal it" routine.  About once a week, I would open them and blow fresh air in and reseal.  Today I opened them up to give them fresh air and they're all snugly rooted!  You never really know how long it will take to root cuttings in winter, so I'm very pleased.  I also, at some point, put a cutting of 'Dee's Big One' in a bag - a stem that was dehydrating.  That one has also rooted nicely.  

With the days getting longer, it's time for me to start taking more cuttings and getting them started.  The problem, of course, is where the hell to put them!  I have such a space issue right now.  I'm thinking maybe I should clear off the shelves at the back of my GH and use them for cuttings, but I have to figure out where to put all THAT stuff!

And now it's about 7:00 p.m.  I had a long day... to the gym (I'll explain that later!), then to work, then to see our accountant about taxes, then back to work, then to the lawyer's office (more explanation later), back to work.  So I'm leaving work at 5:02... it was still light.  Not just light, but LIGHT!  Bright, beautiful, sunshiny, need-my-sunglasses bright!  The days ARE getting longer!  Yippie!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok... gym explanation.  Merry bought me a gym membership for my birthday back in November.  Sweetly enough, she also bought Mom a membership.  I know she worries about me being so dang fat.  And I love her for it.  I know - she's a little bit obsessive about eating right, taking care of yourself, low-fat la-de-dah, etc.  But in reality, I suppose it's better her way than my "don't worry about it, live, eat, drink, be merry and die young" attitude.  We all get to be the master of our destiny and all that.  But I have been wanting to get my health and life under control, and after my last doc's visit, when he gave me so much shit about my weight (which IS truly out of control!!) and my cholesterol and that I'm getting close to being a full-blown diabetic... I've been ready to get off my fat ass and do something.  And though I didn't do anything right away, I finally got going on it about 3-1/2 weeks ago.  Mom and I went to the gym and we consulted with their trainer and he gave us a very realistic routine to do.  And we've been very consistent about going Mon., Wed., Fri. until this week, when we had a snow storm and Mom came down with some awful bronchial junk.  This week I actually went alone Tues., and today, and I hope I can take her with me on Sat.  And get back into the Mon., Wed., Fri. routine next week.  I think it will help both of us.  I already feel stronger in my hip and lower back.  I plan to commit to this, and I've been eating healthier.  I won't say I've been perfect in the eating department, but I've been very, very good about ADDING good stuff to my diet.  More veggies, more fruit, more super-foods.  And I'm going for more organic food, and a LOT less processed foods! 

Here's my new (for several weeks now) morning routine...  A cup of bone broth... this I've been doing for several months.  A cup of (usually) beef broth (sometimes chicken) with a tablespoon of Knox gelatin - very yummy and awesome for joint health.  Also, about 1/3 cup of Greek yogurt (not the fat-free shit - 2% or 4%, the good stuff) with 2 tablespoons of wheat germ, 1 tablespoon of diatomacious earth, 2 teaspoons of fiber and a couple tablespoons of milk and my choice of added sweetness (like apple butter, apricot preserves, some kind of fruit, my favorite is Pampered Chef's cherry almond topping...) or sometimes I just use the fruit on the bottom Greek yogurt.  Anyway, this gives me so much good stuff, and it's pretty dang satisfying!  I've been feeling like a million bucks!!!  So much more energy...

I'm at that age where I can not let my health continue to decline, or I need to "fix it up."  I feel like Wes is cheering me on.  That helps...

Explanation about the lawyer visit...  Mark & I have been talking about getting a divorce for a few years.  It's not about leaving each other.  It's about finances.  It became a concern after his accident in 2012 and the subsequent months when it became apparent that he didn't want to do what it takes to fix his declining brain issues.  I want to protect what little we have managed to save and acquire from his stupidity.  Then life got in the way.  In 2013, Wes was dying.  Mom was away and I was running the business by myself.  Then 2014 was a crazy-busy year and I was trying to let Mom be as retired as possible.  But a few days ago, Mark came home high as a kite, acting drunker than... well, I won't say it 'cuz it's a little offensive! He had literally peed his pants, he was stumbling around, slurring his words.  He finally admitted to me that a friend have given him some "hash oil" whatever the fuck that is!!  He was home around 5:00 or so, he fell asleep and I couldn't wake him up for supper.  Then about 10:00, before I went to bed, he got up to go to the bathroom and was still so fucked up he almost fell down and I had to remind him to put up the lid and seat to the toilet, yet he managed to still pee on some clothes I'd taken off to take a shower and were still close to the toilet. What really scared me was that he drove home like that!!  So this got me off my ass to get the divorce going.  I don't need him going out and having an accident, killing someone or worse and having someone sue ME for all I'm worth!!  So in about 60-90 days, we'll be officially divorced...

And I'm going to bed now.  I'll post more as things progress...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home