Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

New bloomers of late include.... drum roll!....

Hoya heuschkeliana. I accidentally found a flower cluster when I picked up my little rooted cutting to look it over and spritz it with some VF-11. To my surprise, there was this little umbel of flowers that looked like little pink lanterns. How cute!


Hoya diptera. A smallish-leaved Hoya that's a fast grower. Beautiful bright green, shiny, consistently-sized leaves. Those first flowers were a surprise! About the size of a carnosa flower, but the clusters are much, much smaller. First cluster had 6 buds behind it that were slower in developing. I like the butter-yellow blooms. And it's been blooming ever since...

Hoya purpureo-fusca. I got a rooted cutting from Carol Noel last summer after I lost an unrooted cutting from Ted Green. Then, this spring, she sent me another rooted cutting in return for the Dischidia cuttings I sent her in Feb. So the one she sent me last summer set buds about a month ago. I was surprised to get buds so early on a Hoya - happy, mind you, just surprised! They opened a few days ago. Very pretty!!




And old bloomers include H. rubra. A beauty, no doubt, and it's been a consistent grower. I top-dressed it with some new soil and have kept it well-watered the last month or so and it's gone into a mega-bloom cycle. Wow! Pumping them out like crazy. Pubicalyx 'Splash' (or 'Pink Silver') has been putting on gobs and gobs of new, large growth as I've been diligent about keeping it consistently watered this year. I have a feeling that it's so terribly potbound that it needs constant water/nutrients. I'm going to give it a big ol' vitamin/mineral boost here soon to see if we can "kick" it into blooming!
That's about it!

H. 'Krinkle 8' has a new bloom on it. I took it to the C&S show and it kept tipping over - one tendril made it way side-heavy. And it was potbound. So I repotted it into a larger, heavy ceramic pot about a week after the show. Since then, it looks great and set a new bud which opened yesterday. Looks AWESOME!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home