Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Monday, March 08, 2010

Yesterday, I chopped up my Hoya nummulariodes and saved the stump. I'm hoping either the cuttings rehydrate or the stump regrows. If neither happens, it's not one I will replace. When grown well, it's a nice plant (at least seems so in photos...) but I've been unable to "grow it well" myself (so far...)


Then today, I took a cutting off of variegated macrophylla - I hadn't noticed that some of the new growth was un-variegated. I don't really care - I love mac either way. But I don't want un-variegated growth on my varieated form, so will keep it removed and then I'll have yet another clone of this beautiful plant. Oh NO! =o)

I was on a roll, so I decided to take a couple cuttings off of aldrichii. It's one of those Hoyas that grows in a quick spurt, then stops. So I haven't gotten what I'd call a lot of growth off of it so far, even though I've had it a few years. So I figured a pruning might do it some good (shock it into a growth spurt) and I can always put the cuttings back into the pot with "mama".

By this time, I was feelin' kinda bold, so when my carnosa ssp. carnosa largish rooted cutting fell to the floor (got caught up in another one) and broke, I decided to repot the mama plant into a larger pot and put this one (which was really potbound) in with it. It's got a couple of peduncles, so maybe it will bloom this year, maybe not, but I'm excited to see what it does. I love this one - bright, lime-green leaves, longish and narrow with a creased center-point. It has the potential to be on my "top 10 favorite" list...

Which brings me to my "Top 10 Favorite List"...

10) H. carnosa 'Krinkle 8' (great grower, goregous leaves)

9) H. callistrophylla (with those leaves, who cares if it blooms?)

8) H. kerrii (all forms - for the super-succulent leaves)

7) H. australis ssp. tenuipes (for the

6) H. shepherdii (for the very narrow, long leaves!)

5) H. hueschkeliana (for the very unique flowers!)

4) H. macgillivrayii (for the succulent, heart-shaped leaves)

3) H. pubicalyx 'Pink Silver' (for the splashy leaves)

2) H. fungii (for the beautifully veined leaves & large flower clusters!)

1) H.macrophylla (mine is the wide-leaf clone)

And there you have it. My top 10 favorites THIS year! Ask me again next year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home