Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

A couple of updates before I run off to work... H. amoena has new growth (I may have observed that in an earlier post, but it seems to be taking off now.) And H. sp. aff. vitellina has had a sudden burst of new growth - finally! Of all the new ones I got from David Liddle, that's probably the one I like the most, so of course, I think it's almost the last to give me some growth. Pusilla seems to be the the only one left that's showing no signs of new growth. It was a pretty dehydrated one and even though it's rooted, the leaves remain somewhat dehydrated, though certainly not papery-thin. It may work on new roots until next spring... which is fine. It'll give me something to look forward to!

An observation I keep meaning to mention so I don't space it off... Macrophylla has a tendency to have leaves that start to yellow, and if left to their own devices, will eventually fall off. Here's the interesting thing I've discovered: if you notice the yellowing early on (you can see it by looking through the back of the leaf in the sun - it looks blotchy...), and you remove that stem either at that node or the one before and root it, it will start a new plant and often, the yellowing leaf will be fine. It's almost as if for some reason, it's not getting nutrients from the mother plant - like that stem has stopped "working" at some point along the vine. But once it's rooted and on its own, it's fine! I'm trying this with other Hoyas - aff. anulata seems to do the same thing, so I've got a stem rooting now to see if it works with that one...

Off to work!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home