Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Thursday, August 20, 2009

A quick update from my last post... Yesterday, it was sprinkling heavily when I got up and looked like (from the forecast) that rain was going to be moving through all morning. So, I took the three DL cuttings that still remained somewhat to fairly dehydrated looking back out to the porch for some rainwater. It's been my observation that plants respond to rainwater very differently than to water in the watering jug - they always look such a beautiful bright green (like the grass does!) right after a rain. Anyway, I thought it might help. And boy, did it rain! I haven't heard yet how much it actually rained, but at work (which is about 8 miles from home), it was one of those every-couple-of-year rains that comes down in sheets, creating rivers of water running down the streets because the storm drains can't keep up. I was a little worried that maybe I'd made the wrong decision putting out such tender, newly rooted plants in such a torrential downpour.

Well, this morning I decided to look closely at those three to make sure there was no damage. They were all fine, and upon close inspection, I first noticed what I'm pretty sure is a "growth nubbin", about 1/4" long, protruding from the amoena cutting! Then I picked up megalaster and - ZOWIE! - there was about a 3" long new vine with two itty-bitty leaves on it!! I couldn't believe my eyes. How could that happen so quickly? I suppose after the rain, when the sun came out, that was about all it took. So it proves my theory, I think, that rainwater is indeed better than even VF-11 water!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home