Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Monday, June 27, 2011

And the winners are...
This last weekend was the cactus club's show/sale.  Here's a link to the club's website... River City Cactus & Succulent Society  I entered 23 plants this year (about twice what I usually do) and I got ribbons on all of them!  So I'll start with the two honorable mentions...

This is a Gasteria (not sure of the species) I've had awhile, and it was in one of the community pots at work.  It had gotten very thick with pups, so I pulled it and potted it for the show.  It had a few long leaves that were a little beat up so I pulled thos out and, voila!, it looked great:
And the other that got an HM ribbon was one of my little Dischidia ovatas:
This one is growing in a little lay pot in a teacup and has been doing particularly well.  I was kind of surprised that it didn't get a higher award, but then I never can quite figure out the criteria, so there were other surprises, like two other Gasteria I showed.  This one, which is really nice, mind you, won a first place ribbon...

It's Gasteria gracilis and wow, is it packed in the pot!  But this one, Gasteria batesiana, is a knockout and it got a second place ribbon...

The photo really doesn't do it justice.  The darker parts are almost black - it's really a striking plant.  I was sure this would be a first place winner!

My little Hoya wayetti in the turtle pot won a third place ribbon...

It was in the "novelty pot" division.  Euphorbia milii was also a third place winner...
It's one lush, full plant!  This Pachypodium (I'm not sure of the species) won a 2nd place ribbon...


Crassula ovata minima (the small leaf Jade) also recieved 2nd place.  It's another one I've been growing in a community pot at work and it's gotten quite pretty, though I probably would have "shaped it up" a bit if I'd given forthought to showing it.  But it looked pretty good even in its somewhat of a "wild child"...
On the other hand, my old Jade that I whacked back last year is looking pretty damn good.  I didn't think it was really show-worthy, mostly because it needs one more season to have a thick enough head of foliage so you can't see the pruning cuts.  But I decided to show it under the "educational" category with an explanation of "how to get a thick-trunked Jade."  Well, it won a first place blue ribbon!...
I know the judges hate it when you grow something else in the same pot as a specimen plant, but I think Haworthias as a ground cover are prettier than rock.

More about my winners tomorrow!

2 Comments:

At 10:35 PM, Blogger Candice Suter.....Sweetstuff said...

Congratulations! They are so great! I just joined my local Cactus and succulent club. But missed my first meeting because I was sick and the second I will miss the second because of vacation. Darn!

 
At 2:10 AM, Anonymous Cassy said...

Beautiful potted green plants.

Cassy from Download Guitar Lessons

 

Post a Comment

<< Home