Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Monday, April 08, 2013

They sure changed this a lot.  I'm sure once I get used to the changes that I'll like them, but it's always a bit of a challenge to adjust when you're used to doing things one way and it's suddenly different! 

Yesterday, we had a cold front move in (the day before it was in the 70's!) and it started out raining in the early morning.  They predicted that the rain would eventually be mixed with snow, so when we started seeing some flakes coming down with the rain about noon, we weren't surprised.  Mom & I were at work and we were waiting for the linen delivery guy to get there so we could go home.  He finally got there about 12:30, so we finished up what we were going and left about 1:00.  We walked out to find it looking like a blizzard!  It was falling fast and furiously, by now no rain at all - only snow.  By the time we got home, they were the biggest, FATTEST flakes I had ever seen in my entie life!  They must have been the size of a silver dollar!  And when they **splatted** to the ground, they looked like little bombs, spreading out even larger and instantly melting!  It was absolutely, stunningly beautiful!  I could have been mesmerized by the sight for hours, but thankfully, it didn't last long.  The trees are still holding onto their leaves and it would have been detrimental if it had kept up. 

Well, I volunteered to give a little "talk" about Dischidias this next Sunday at our plant club meeting.  Kathy asked for ideas about the meeting because she's pretty tied up getting ready for some craft deal in mid-Nov.  (That lady SURE has a lot going on!!)  I came up with this, figuring it's one genus I could ramble on about for a bit, and asked that everyone bring a plant(s) from the same family (Asclipiadaceae).  Oh how I wish we could get some "new blood" in the club - maybe some younger folks who would have energy and enthusiasm.  I have a feeling that one of these days, Kathy is going to just say, "Ok, I'm done being president... If one of you guys can't do it, this club is done."  At which point I think the club WILL be done.  If I was retired, I could perhaps handle both being president AND newsletter editor, but I just don't have time to do both now...

There's not really much going on with my plants right now.  They're all back in the house for the winter, of course.  I chopped up MOST of my Hoya fungii this year.  I've got a start in a hanging pot in the GH, one in hydroton in my bedroom (I'm not sure that one is doing so great...), and another one in a hanging pot in the bathroom.  My australis ssp. tenuipes is bloomin right now and smells amazing at night.  Little davidcummingii continues to bloom.  Lacunosa has blooms hither and dither - it may be getting ready to rest...  I put lambii in the sunroom in the south window.  It just hasn't done much of anything in the GH, so figured maybe a change of venue might help.  A couple days ago, I turned my pubicalyx 'Pink Silver' in the dining room and washed it down with the VF-11 spray.  This may not sound like a big ordeal, but the plant has gotten so large, it's a bit of a fiasco.  (And that one is my smaller 'PS'!!)  When I got it turned, the leaves facing the window are now facing the room and, oh BOY, are they pretty!  I do this about every 6-8 months and I really enjoy the beauty of the side that was facing the window!  And it doesn't hurt that the leaves get that nice wash-down...  They get to looking so dull with dust.  I really need to do that more often!  But it requires laying down a layer of newspapers to catch all the water as it drips off the leaves, so it's kind of a hassle. 

I have a lot of my larger Hoyas that are terribly potbound that I should probably commit to either potting up a size or topdressing this winter. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home