Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Just popping in to make a couple quick observations.  The plants are popping with new growth like crazy!  I can't spend a lot of time writing about them, but I want to document where we stand as much as possible.

El-nidicus, which I got as a cutting from Dee in 2011, has turned into a beautiful plant.  I wasn't sure for a long time how I felt about it, but it's very succulent, lovely long oval leaves...
It's got a new growth point - very tiny at this point, but it's growing!  Right below it is my dasyantha.  Today I got up early and decided to turn it around.  All the leaves had turned toward the sun and were on the window side of the shelf it sits on.  It was on the far right of the shelf, and I moved it over to the far left and clipped all the foliage to the front - look how lovely it is!!...
 That node in the middle with three leaves is truly outstanding!!!...
I think that dasyantha probably falls in the carnosa complex, but even if it is closely related to the plain old carnosa, it's a real knockout!!  And it actually did flower for me for the first time a couple years ago...
I got it in a trade in 2010, so it's done well for me...

It may be just wishful thinking, but I think that deykeae might have some new growth nubbins.  I'm afraid to get my hopes up, but it DOES seem very happy where it's always sat.  Here's what it looks like this spring, in a new pot that I put it in last fall...
 
This one is in my top 5 favorite list.  But there are others crowding down the list as they grow.  Little 'Rebecca' continues to grow and even did some blooming this winter.  She's budding up again right now.  And then there's 'Poring Hot Springs' - I just took it down to water it this morning and my God, the leaves are SOOO thick!!  And there's a growth nubbin starting AND two peduncles are budding up!

My biggest Big Mac (macrophylla) has two the leaves forming AT THE BASE!!  I love it when they get new leaves at the base!  It always makes look all filled in and nice.  I'm very anxious to see if either will be one of the massive sized leaves.  I was making an observation the other day that I really hadn't thought about until I was actually talking about it...  I have two other macrophylla that have come off my main plant and neither has produced one of those gigantic leaves like the mother plant does.  I wonder why that would be??

 Off to work I go!

1 Comments:

At 1:24 AM, Anonymous Fashion said...

Excellent site I have bookmarked your site..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home