Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Monday, July 27, 2015

Great weekend!

The show and sale went well this last weekend!  I entered 21 plants and all but three got ribbons.  Of course, Chuck didn't show at all this year, so there were more ribbons to go around, so to speak!  But we had a decent turnout of show plants (I think Kathy said it was around 140) and it drew in a lot of people and the vendors seemed happy.  

So here's the ones I showed...  Hoya krohniana had an umbel of flowers open, and it's total cuteness brought me a blue ribbon...




I also showed Hoya retusa as it has turned into an adorably weird plant in the last year or two.  It got a red ribbon...
Wish it would bloom for me!  I've seen photos of retusa's blooms and they only bloom one flower at a time!  

I showed both sp. Nong Nooch and finlaysonii.  They're very similar, but they were both budding up and I put NN in the Asclepdiadaceae group and fin in the "hanging plant" category.  NN got a red ribbon and NN got a green (3rd place) ribbon.  NN is first here:
The fin flowers were starting to open.  The NN flowers actually had newer buds pushing behind the buds that were still unopened!

Hoya rotundiflora (formerly "Square Leaf") got a 2nd place ribbon.  It was blooming for the very first time!

One of these years, I plan to show my deykeae - it looks SO fabulous, I think it could steal the show.  But I've always been SO careful with that plant because everyone I've talked to finds it hard to grow and I'm afraid if I breath wrong on it, it'll decide it doesn't like me!!  LOL!  When I water plants, I almost always take them to the kitchen to give them a good bath and a good look-over, but this is one I rarely do that with.  I want it to remain undisturbed, and it has always grown in the same spot even though the plants that grow around it have changed over the years.  Here's what it's looking like this year:
There's something about deykeae that has a LOT of eye-appeal to me!

I entered 3 Dischidias in the show - nr. Burma (won 2nd place), hirsuta (won 3rd place) and ovata (won first place, best specialty container).  Here they are:




















The ovata photo at the bottom is an older photo - it's grown a lot since then, but I wanted a photo that showed the shell.



1 Comments:

At 3:15 AM, Anonymous Change password hotmail said...

Nice post and thanks for share a good piece of content with us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home