Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

A few quick notes...

Took down my Hoya meliflua today to water and found all kinds of growth nubbins on it!!  And even a couple new leaves close to the soil line.  Here's a new growth nubbin well on its way to two new leaves:
It's all very exciting!!  Meliflua is one of those species that has very sensitive leaves when they're young.  The slightest little disturbance and they drop off, so you have to be SO careful.  I think I'll try not to move it now for the next few months.  Watering it while it's hanging can be a real challenge, but I'll do that to keep it from losing leaves...  It would be so great to get it to bloom this year.  I think it's only bloomed one year for me, and the flowers are SO outstanding...

I moved my ripple leaf finlaysonii to the sunroom south window and it seems to like it there...
I'm thinking it might need a bigger pot, but I'm not sure how to get it out of the pot it's in.  It's in a pumpkin pot, so very round.  I don't want to break it because Thelma (my long-gone MIL) gave it to me years ago and I treasure it...  I may have to cut it out and I'm not sure how that will affect the roots.  Well, until it shows me signs that it's not happy, I think it will stay put...

And I think I have a new leaf on deykeae (YAY!!)  At least it looks shiny & new...


I'm just surprised that I didn't notice it when it was coming on.  Could it be from last year?  I don't ever remember it growing this early, but the leaf is just so new looking, I think it has to be a new one...  I hope this is a sign it will grow more this year.  It is by and far my slowest grower, I think...

And lastly, I have to post a pic of my giraffe planter...
 Is that adorable or what?!  I got two of these last year - an elephant and a giraffe.  I'll post the elephant later.  This one has a cutting off my old obovata in it - one that's doing very well.  I whacked by my old obovata last summer and started some to sell, kept that whacked pot to see if it will grow and am keeping this one as a restart.  I'm sure it will get too large for this pot soon, but I'm enjoying the look for now.  (The plant below it is H. surigaoensis and the finlaysonii mentioned above...)  

That's it for today! 
 
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home