Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Sunday, April 12, 2015

It's Sunday - our cactus club meeting is today.  But I've been puttering around and have some observations to record...

A month or 6 weeks ago, I put together a batch of cuttings of mini-leaved Hoyas in a miniature tray that came with a dome.  It had 12 plugs, and i put Hoyas like curtisii, krohniana, cagayensis, etc. in there.  A few were duplicates, like I started two krohnianas.  I just potted up the two krohnianas with a curtisii cutting - seeing the two close together in there inspired me to put them together.  Both have tiny distinctly heart-shaped leaves, and the contrast of the two is going to look fabulous together!  Krohniana is super dimpled and plain green, and curtisii leaves are coursely matte with what I would call "calico" markings.  I can't wait for it to grow!  If it grows fast enough, it may be "showable" by show-time...  I know it wouldn't win anything because it would be two species mixed together, but I think it would be a sigh to behold, so I would be willing to show it knowing it wouldn't win...

I also tried to root a couple sigillatis cuttings.  One dropped it's leaves and did nothing.  The other one kept it's one leaf, but hasn't rooted yet.  I put it in the pot with the mother plant in hopes it will root, but I don't hold out a lot of hope.  I seem to recall that sigillatis was a bitch to root!  It's a gorgeous little thing, but drops leaves with the slightest bump.
I think it looked better then (in this photo, which was taken in 2010) than it does now.  But at least it's growing.  I have it on the top shelf of the GH - I think I'll move it down a shelf when I get things moved out this spring.  

One that rooted fast was a couple cuttings of dischorensis.  This is one I've had since 2010, from David Liddle, and it did just so-so for a very long time.  Last year, it got some decent growth on it, and this year, I took those two little cuttings, just to put back in with the plant.  They both rooted fast, and I put them back in with the mother plant just this morning.  There was a nice long new vine on the mother plant, and I saw another new growth point down on an older stem.  This could be the year for this one to bloom!  I hope so!  The photos I've seen of the flowers are yellow, and they look waxy rather than hairy.  

Yesterday, I found finlaysonii had open flowers!  This is one I got from Shirley on GW back in 2011.  I've also got one I got from Gardinos the next year, much larger, that went into a decline after I got it.  I whacked it up and started cuttings in semi-hydro, and after that, the mother plant recovered.  That one is much bigger (as is the one in semi-hydro) yet neither of those have bloomed yet.  Here's the bloom cluster on the older, smaller one...
Very pretty, but not terribly fragrant.

I took this nice sized wayetti to Phyllis yesterday:
I picked up an owl pot at Walgreens to put it in and it looked so nice!  Once I get back to see her tomorrow, I'll post what's going on there.  At this point, I have no idea what the story is.  Picked Phyllis up from the woo-hoo ward at Immanuel on Thursday because neither of her daughters would accept her calls.  Tried to get the story out of her then, but she couldn't focus long enough to tell me what was going on.  I have a feeling they have her on a lot of drugs... unnecessarily, IMO, but I haven't had much contact with her in many years, so there may be plenty I don't know...

Off to the meeting!
 
 
 

1 Comments:

At 11:01 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

great here with you
_____________
HD Wallpapers

 

Post a Comment

<< Home