Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

More to talk about!

>7:00 a.m. and I'm in the GH, watering.  The last couple days haven't been as hot, but there are still a lot of dry plants.  Shelf #5, the one on the north end, has a lot going on.  On the bottom shelf is my oldest kerrii, which has a new vine, new rubbery leaves and new peduncles.  That's one that needs some of the worm castings (which I ordered...) as the soil is very hard.  I'm afraid when it gets like this, trying to repot into new soil will be a disaster as the roots are probably a solid mass clinging to that old icky soil.  The other one on that bottom shelf is my large specked obovata.  I have a spot cleared on one end of that shelf for the cats to sit and bird watch.

Next shelf up has plants I will be selling in the fall, so I'll just say they're all coming along fine, growing...  Above that shelf is one I got from Ric last year which I can't find anything about on the internet.  He tagged it Hoya obscruanervia.  Incidentally, it is nothing like obscura - it has large leaves, somewhat elongated.  Anyway, it has three new tiny leaves right above the soil line:
 You can see 2 of the three here, the third is blocked by the stem.  This looks like it could be a real beauty when it grows out!  I'll take a pic of the whole plant when these baby leaves grow out a bit.  Update:  I e-mailed Ric and asked him about this Hoya and this is what he said:  

I got a cutting from Christine Burton years ago. It was someone in Asia that sent her a cutting. I think it is probably in the Parasitica group. It's a really strong plant and the leaves get quite large. Very easy care and very fragrant. Definitely a nice specimen plant. Mine got really huge.


Close by is myrmecopa, one I have never been thrilled about both because it has any annoying, hard to figure out name, and it's kind of a messy grower.  But I've held onto it because it does grow well, and I figure when/if it blooms, I may decide it's worth keeping.  Well, I finally have some peduncles budding up.  It actually developed a couple peduncles last year, but it never budded up...
 Looks like they're going to be teeny-tiny!  I also have a clone of rigida I got from Jessica (I'm pretty sure) that continues to struggle.  If it ever grows, I'll probably just stick it in with my other rigida.

I had two sp. 22 Khao Yai and I potted them up together in one of those old, round ceramic pots I've had forever.  I'm not sure if they're both growing, but at least one is.  Sp. aff. vitellina is growing all over the place!  I think I mentioned this in one of my recent blogs because I found SO many new growth points that I was in awe of it.  It's also got a couple peduncles budding up.

Sp. Ko Chang, which did well and then lost all but a couple leaves, now has a tiny new leaf coming on the old vine.  I'm so glad, because this is one of those really cool, super-succulent species I like so much.  Like Chicken Farm, one of my favorites... Here's a pic of Ko Chang at it's best:


I have two Ban Ngong Ngoys, one of which has bloomed already this spring and is budding up again.  The other has peduncles, so it'll probably start blooming soon, too.  I'll probably sell one of them this fall.

Also actively growing are ilagiorum (which I wasn't sure was going to make it!), chunii (which has been essentially dormant since I got it 3 years ago) and camphorpholia.  The older leaves of the ilagiorum still look a little stressed, but I figure if it's growing, it must not be unhappy.  I also have two pachycladas - my old one which is large, and a small, hard-grown one from Chuck.  This is a species that is so pretty when the leaves are young, but as they age, they become rather ugly.  I wonder if there's a way to grow this so that the old leaves don't get so gnarly looking...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home