Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

A day of BS...

Since the beginning of the year, I've worked twice two days in a row.  The first time was a Monday and Tuesday and I paid dearly for it - I think that was the 8th & 9th.  I opted out for Wednesday and didn't get called either Thursday or Friday and was relieved.  I think "the universe" was looking out for me.  Well, I worked Monday (day before yesterday) and I was chase and didn't get around to texting Matt to not include me today and got called.  Since I didn't feel half bad, I decided to go. And it turned out fine, in spite of the fact that we started the day with two trips to the auto auction.  Oh, don't get me wrong - there was some pain, but nothing I couldn't handle.  Then the rest of the day was just around town, delivering cars to branches...

The BS I refer to in my title...a certain member of our group, who will remain nameless, has a habit of droning on and on about his charmed life.  How richy-rich he is, how richy-rich his kids are, how he got richy-rich, how every employer has gotten richy-rich because of his brilliance, how he has made other people richy-rich or saved people from their stupidity...  I've only worked with him a few times, but every time I do, it gets a little more sickening.  Now, I'm not stupid - I know that this is likely a sign of insecurity.  He's a short man, and I know it's not uncommon for short men to feel the need to make up for what they perceive to be a "shortcoming" (no pun intended...)  Maybe that's not even it.  But whatever it is, I'm sure it's long ingrained and will not change.  But it's annoying because it feels like it's a putdown to everyone around him.  That we should all feel honored to be in the presence of such brilliance!  

I got particularly annoyed when he started going on about "Nebraska drivers."  "Nebraska drivers don't know how to signal."  "Nebraska drivers don't know the meaning of polite driving."  And on it went.  And yet the man is driving like an idiot.  Weaving in and out of traffic.  Going up to 20 mph over the speed limit at times.  One of those who seems to think you have to jam the gas and hit the brake, so you feel like you've gotten a minor case of whiplash by days end!

Ok, so I got that off my shoulders!  The rest of my workmates were pretty good today.  Mike is a recent transplant from Chicago - a nice guy who likes to read.  Sharon, a peep who started about the time I started who has a lot of hip/back/foot issues and we've kind of been support for each other for that reason.  Bob is a retired computer guy.  I don't know a lot about him even though I've worked with him a lot except that he's usually pretty funny and I like him because he's a master-cusser!  LOL!  I know, I'm a little twisted!  And Barb - she's, well, a little negative.  She's one of those people who, if you said something like "It's a beautiful day!", she would rut-out something bad to say about it, like "There's what looks like a rain cloud out to the west..."  She's one of those people I really REALLY want to like, but she makes it hard.  She probably thinks I'm annoyingly optimistic... we all have our cross to bear! LOL!

Tuesday was a better day.  I was chase and we went to Sioux Falls.  It was me and Sharon (again), Bob D. ("gentleman Bob" as I call him...), Tim (a closet Democrat), Darlene ("the church lady"), and Jerry, who I know little about but I know he's a really, really nice guy.  We brought back two packer vans from one of the branches up there.  And that was the extent of the day, so it was easy-peezy.  

There isn't a lot to talk about on the home front.  I'm keeping some of my plants alive... others are croaking.  What can I say?  It's rough when it hurts to stand for very long.  I'm doing the best I can.  Once my hip is replaced, I should be able to stay on top of the watering better.  Tomorrow, I plan to make some notes here about the ones that are doing ok.  I can feel spring in my bones.  The days are getting longer... I feel the Hoyas trying to wake up JUST a little.  I see HINTS of new growth, or maybe it's just happiness that the days are getting longer.  I think the longer you grow them, the more you "feel" or sense the tiniest of changes.  

So for now, I'm off to la-la land.  I (of course) opted out to work tomorrow.  A 3rd day in a row would be pushing my luck!  But I'm hoping I'll work Friday... and if I do, I hope it's with a group of good peeps!  Maybe Guy and Linda...  they're always fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home