Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Friday, April 17, 2020

Wednesday

 Had to revise this after the fact and re-publish as I had misidentified a Hoya...

As of last evening at 9:20 p.m., we have 478 cases of Coronavirus and 12 deaths. That's pretty significant... 66 more cases in 12 hours, three more deaths, up 33% over yesterday morning! This is the time to stay home because that tells me that the explosion is starting to happen! They're showing a total of around 7,400 people tested in Nebraska, and nearly 7,000 of those tested negative.

They're now calling April 11th the national peak date. Today is the peak day for hospitals in New York, and tomorrow is a peak day for deaths, estimated at 780.

On a very positive note, they said that the city in China where this all started, things are starting to open back up and they've only had three new cases of coronavirus in the last 21 days. I guess that Sylvia Browne was right in her prediction...
I'm only going to talk about a few plantss that I snapped pictures of yesterday and this morning. Mainly because I have spent the last two or three hours working on my macgillivrayii... I unwrapped the huge mother plant and I was amazed at how much there was there! It's in dire need of being whacked back... Here's what it looked like after I got it all unwound...
I whacked it up, and it took two sinkfuls of cuttings. Washed up them up and they made 18 pots of cuttings! I can sell them like hotcakes for $15 apiece. In fact, I just sold a cutting off of it for $15, so if I wait till towards the end of summer when they're actually growing, I can probably easily get $20 or $25 a pot on Facebook. It's going to be a real money maker. And I may just keep a couple of those cuttings and add them to the rooted cutting that hangs in my bedroom and sell off the mother pot as well. That would give me a good restart. I like it when they look fresh! And I sure would like to get it to bloom!

Hoya buotii is another one I got from Jessica in 2012 as a very small cutting. As you can see, it's growing like weed. It's so similar to 'Iris Marie' that I decided a long time ago to get rid of that one and keep this one. Apparently it's about as hard to bloom because it hasn't for me in spite of its size!
Hoya rotundiflora, or what they used to call Square Leaf, is such a sweet little thing! I've always loved the very unusual leaves.  Squared off at the tips, the succulent very textured leaves are so different from any other Hoya. I had one for quite a long time but lost it, or most of it, and then got one from Marco. It seems to be doing good and even has a new vine on it.
Rhipsalis compose portoana hangs in the east window in my sunroom. It was in the south window until about 2 weeks ago. Since the sun has moved north, I decided to put it in the east window so it gets some direct sun. It seems to be a happy camper so far, but it is an exotic angel plant so who knows how long that will last! I try to let it get very dry between waterings because of the kind of soil it's in. Seems to be working...
I have two orchids that are also in my sunroom. I got both of these as little offsets at least a dozen years ago at Walmart. They were really cheap, which is why I got two. Neither has ever bloomed from me, but they've grown substantially. For some reason, one of them has gotten wrinkly, so now I keep a plastic bag around the pot to try to keep it hydrated. I don't think it's really anything to worry about, however, because it continues to put on new growth as well as new roots.
Hoya dasyantha is a cutting I got in 2010 in a trade. It's a cultivar of carnosa, with nice large leaves and it blooms a lot easier than carnosa. It grows across a wooden shelf in my sunroom and makes a beautiful backdrop for other plants growing on the shelf.
A week or so ago, I showed a photo of a flower umbel from lucardensiana, and now here is a pic of the whole plant.  I got it as a cutting in a trade in 2013. I love the shiny round leaves. It's one of my favorites of the smaller species.

And last is Dischidia acuminata fasciata. "Fasciation" means mutation, as this one mutates at the stems making it very interesting. First photo is of one I'm growing in hydroton in the sunroom that's turning into a real beauty. Second is my giant one... This one used to grow in the greenhouse and would get so long with foliage that it would reach the floor! So it's been whacked back lots of times. Nowadays it's in my dining room. Third photo is a close-up of some of the most recent mutated growth.


And just a quick update... as of 11:45 this morning, there are 519 cases of coronavirus, another 41 in 17 hours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home