Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Tuesday, April 07, 2020

Tuesday

As of this morning, there are 412 cases of coronavirus in Nebraska. We had a fourth death in Omaha, making a total of 9 deaths so far. I found a statistic this morning that said 2200 people have been tested in Omaha... that doesn't seem like very many!  Another interesting fact is that Iowa, which is less than 5 miles from my house, has 946 cases of Coronavirus! Over twice what Nebraska has. Granted, their population is around three million, but that's well short of twice our population.

The website showing state-by-state statistics was updated this morning finally. They have pushed our peak date back one day to the 24th of this month, and are estimating 18 deaths instead of 15 on that day. They're estimating 459 deaths in Nebraska by August 4th. They're basing their numbers now on full social distancing through May. Another interesting fact they were talking about on this morning's news is that mental health calls to the hotlines are up over 800%. I guess that's not too surprising with the isolation and all the hype on television about this. I swear if I didn't have my plants and my cats, I'd probably be going crazy myself. And we're on the early end of this, so it could still happen!

I actually asked Merry, my sister, in a text yesterday what she thought about the idea of me driving down, picking up Mom and coming out to her place for a visit sometime in the next few days. I asked her opinion as a nurse... Granted, she's not a practicing nurse right now, but she has the knowledge of a nurse. She thought we should wait at least another week and see how things are going. They've got their nursery open now, though they are practicing safe distancing from customers. But she still feels that they have more exposure than we do, so we should proceed with caution as far as visiting goes. I know in my heart she's right, but I am going a little bit stir-crazy here in the house. It's going to be our last nice day this week, so I may get out and just drive someplace... I've been thinking about taking a drive down to the farm.

I decided I'm going to take a break from blogging about my plants today. I have lots I need to get done around the house. And now my phone needs to be charged, so I'll put it on the charger. More tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home