Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Thursday, March 26, 2020

Thursday...

Well, as of today according to the internet we have 74 cases of coronavirus in Nebraska. That's three more over the end of yesterday. They talked about testing on the news...they get 100 tests a day and some brilliant scientist at the Med Center came up with the idea to test 4 swabs at a time. When they found two positive tests, they simply retested the 8 swabs in those two tests to determine who was positive. This means the can test up to 400 people a day instead of 100!

So...back to the greenhouse. Still working on the second set of shelves... There are a lot of plants on me this one. I have two Desert Roses on this shelf. One of is the new one I got last year that's supposed to have black flowers. It bloomed a couple times in the fall and they are not black. They are a dark dark red. This one made it through the winter and actually has some little buds on it. I whacked off a couple of the stems that had gotten a little long and actually had some scale on them, but I left the one that had buds and cleaned all the leaves really well.
Then we have my big old Desert Rose that I've had for several years. It actually has buds on it as well and is putting on new leaves. I didn't have to do any whacking on it at all.
And I have a couple of more Jade sports on the shelf as well. I have another of the 'Skinny Fingers', which I got a couple of years ago in a raffle at our Cactus Club meeting...another one with a nice trunk, and this one's fuller than the other one, so I won't have to whack it back in the spring.
And my only 'Gollum'. 'Gollum' has a particularly gnarly trunk, not smooth like the others.
Pachypodium griquense is another interesting fat plant that gets a nice fat, oblong caudex. Starting to sprout leaves and it even has a flower on it today!
My Euphorbia lactea variegata crest that is grafted is looking beautiful. It's a good thing I put it in this heavy stoneware pot as it's getting quite top heavy! It gets such beautiful red tones in this summer, and seems to keep them for the most part sitting in this South window through the winter...
Kalanchoe tomentosa, otherwise known as the Panda Plant, and some call this dark form Chocolate Soldier,  is blooming. The flower stalk is about two and a half feet tall!
I have a really nice Crown of Thorns on this shelf, and though it's lost a lot of leaves, it's got buds coming on. I'll be sure to take a picture this summer after it's filled in with leaves as it's quite beautiful.
Dioscorea elephantipes is a weird but loveable plant. I spent a boatload on a big one from Chaos Cactus that was, I'm convinced, dead. I spent half a buttload on this little one that is for sure alive! The adorable, very dainty vine that emerges from it is uncharacteristic of typical succulents. As the caudex grows, it splits creating a pattern reminiscent of a turtle. 
I got this as a sedum, but I think it's a Sedeveria, and the cultivar is 'Estrella'.

Finally a Hoya...aff clandestine. One of the few that I got from Joni that survived. Took a long time to start growing, but now it looks great.
And another Hoya, kerrii variegata. I actually have two of these and this is the smallest and oldest believe it or not! They growth slow, and they tend to grow gnarly leaves. In fact I chopped two of them off before I took this picture.
Hoya loyceandrewsiana is thought to be the same as latifolia. They do look identical to me. I think I'm going to move this one up to a bigger pot this year  and probably in with the one I got from Marco in hopes that it will grow.
And two more for today... first an unknown Aloe, perhaps wilkensii (suggested on GW) with Drimia bulbs in the base.
And finally, my favorite Haworthia, 'Lime Green'.
This one grows SO nicely, I have several in with other succulents besides this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home