Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Friday, March 26, 2010

I just discovered that sp. 'Nong Nooch' has a new shoot! Two new leaves, though small, seem to be developing - one is far enough along it looks safe to touch. I'm very excited! I got this one from Carol 2 years ago and it's never done a darn thing. I put it in semi-hydro last spring and it still didn't do anything all summer long. Well, it's finally growing. It's going to be a beauty! And I'll be glad when it's put on enough new foliage that I can take off the damaged leaf, or it will at least be hidden by new foliage...




And I took down H. mitrata this morning, search it thoroughly for new growth and found a teeny tiny shoot coming from near the base of one of the plants. Yay! I may need to move that one to one of those 8" pots I get from Awanda (need to order some...) Now, if it would just bloom for me!



Another one to talk about - subquintuplinervis (wow, I checked to see if I spelled that right and I did - without looking!!) This one is here in the room with my computer... I was looking for new growth a couple days ago and found a peduncle is forming! Amazing - it's a cutting I got from Ted Green in May of '08, so that's pretty fast, really. Then this morning, I see a little growth nubbin just a little beyond the peduncle. It will be interesting to watch them grow.


Latifolia's bud continues to grow. I got my new camera yesterday and tested it with a quick photo of the bud forming...

You can tell I took the photo straight up with all the light behind it (see the clouds in the sky through the roof glass?) I also got up there and watered latifolia, thinking surely it's pretty dry (which it was...) I hope it doesn't drop the buds! I've been looking forward to this one blooming for me someday. I've had the damn thing for 4 years!

I also discovered a peduncle forming on pallida!! I love this small laved Hoya - the very succulent leaves have raised veins, making it look textured. I hope it grows a lot for me this year.

'Chelsea' continues to be a problem child for me. I think I'll put it outside this summer to try to kick it into growing. I have a few others like that, too, that will likely be put outside to try to encourage new growth.

I was going to place an order with Gardino's, but it seems all the ones I wanted are sold out now. So I'm going to place a pretty large order for Liddle cuttings. I hope I have a good a success rate as I did last year!

Monday, I sent out my first two boxes of cuttings for this year, and then Wednesday, I got my first box of plants for this spring. It came from Kelly from WV - she sent me a Hoya dasyantha (an established plant, no less!) and some very nice cuttings of linearis. The dasyantha has carnosa-shaped leaves (though larger) but they're more veined like fungii. It looks like it could be a real beauty! And I put the linearis in hydroton to see if maybe it will do better for me that way. Her mama plant must be awsome looking at these cuttings!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home