Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Success!!! After 17 days, my Hoya imperalis cuttings are rooted. I just put them in a 6" glazed clay pot (all but one that is...) and assuming they make the transition, I'll have a nice potfull going strong by full-swing-spring. I was amazed at how fast they rooted!! I can't wait to see how they look in a week or two. The mama plant continues to decline - I left about 10" on each plant, with some leaves that continue to drop. I'm going to stake my experience on it making a full recovery eventually, though. It may not be this year, mind you, but I'll bet it'll come back eventually.. I plan to put it out on our deck this summer, in a shady spot, which will encourage new growth. But my point is that I just can't express how **YIPEE** I feel about the cutings rooting so fast. That tells me I got ot the plant in time.

So what else is going on in my world of plants?? OMG, so much new growth on so many plants. All the pubicalyx cultivars are growing like mad. I put 'Royal Hawaiian Purple' in the sunroom and it has all kinds of pretty, dark purple new growth on it. 'Red Buttons' has gotten HUGE and has all kinds of new growth, too. Lots of peduncles, too. And then there's 'Bright One', which I moved up to one of those 5" hanging pots. I'm betting it's going to grow like wildfire this summer.

Another one that's putting on growth hand-over-fist is 'Krinkle 8'. I'm amazed at how well it's growing. I remember back when I got the cutting - I think in 2006?? from Yale. It took the first year to form minimal roots. Second year to get established. Grew some in the third year. Last year it really, really took off, to the point that I moved it to a large ceramic pot (due to its heaviness) last late summer. And now it's growing like mad. And putting on lots of peduncles. I think last year, I got two two very nice flower clusters from it. I have a feeling when it's ready to bloom, it'll be something to behold!

I watered my carnosa x. obovata (or is it the other way around??) a few days ago and thought "Oh NOOOO" because it seemed to have dehydratd considerably. I was so afraid I'd hurt it permenantly, but a couple days later, it seemed perfectly fine. Hoyas are so resiliant... and thankfully so. I loved that plant, which I got from Carol.

Enough for today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home