Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Wow! I was out giving my plants a VF-11 bath on Sunday and found all kinds of buds. Let's see... most exciting was nicholsonaie. I had just commented on GW about how I thought it was kind of a stingy bloomer. I found at least 6 peduncles budding up!! Until this last fall, I had grown this one up on the top shelf of the GH, where it would get very nicely red-veined leaves. But I would get just one or two blooming peduncles each year. This last fall, I decided to move the stingy-blooming Nick down to a bottom shelf, where I could admire "his" pretty foliage. Well, maybe that's just what he wanted! Six blooming peduncles! Wow!! I'm very excited!


Others I found budding up: verticillata variegata - several peduncles. Inconspicua has been budding up for awhile. Plain old verticillata has buds. Oh, and subquintuplinervis (did I spell thaqt right?) has a bud - tried to take a photo of it, but it looked like... uh, well... a phallic symbol (to put it politely!!) And latifolia's peduncle continues to develop without problems (so far...)


Yesterday, I went to see a lady who's husband was a member of our local C&S club. He passed away about a month ago, and she called me a week or so ago about coming to take his plants to find homes for them. I got to their home and she had obviously been crying. I felt so bad for her. She spent the next hour telling me such great stories about her wonderful husband...stories I hope to never forget. She had to show me his completely (and beautifully) restored 1964 Ford Gallaxy 500 (a car my ex and I had when we first got married - though our's was a '65 or '66...) Though it was kind of sad, it was also inspirational to know that two people can have such a great connection.


I can't believe it was so incredibly warm today! 75 or so. Wow... I had to put the screen in the south window of my GH because it was too warm in there. It's still open and I'm hoping I won't have to close it again. It's so hard to open/close, so I'm hoping it will stay warm (yeah, right!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home