Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Friday, April 02, 2010

Got off work early, so got a head start on some photos of last year's Liddle cuttings. But for some reason, blogger isn't letting me upload the photos. I'll do a little commentary then go back and add the photos later...

H. amoena (left) has grown some, and there are some new growth "nubbins" starting on the stems. It's hard to tell from the photo, but this one has slightly raised veins. I have a feeling it will be a favorite once it really starts to grow!


H. cagayanensis (right) is actually a cutting I got from Shannon last summer. It seems a little puney when I got it - one little 4-leaf cutting. But I guess Shannon knew what a great grower it was - look at all the new foliage! It's growing like a bat out of hell. The leaves are medium sized (maybe 4" long, 1.5" wide) and relatively thin, though they do seem to thicken a bit as they age. It's quite a little climber. I'm thinking of putting it in one of those 5" hanging pots, but it's in such a small pot that would be a pretty big move up. Maybe I'd be better off putting it in a heavy cache pot with a small trellis. I see some tiny peduncles forming - yippee!!



Left is megalaster, one I wasn't sure was going to make it. Well, it did root, though I haven't really gotten any growth yet. However, I see a little "something" popping out of the soil next to the main stem that could be new growth. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! This one looks like it could be a real beauty with its big, extremely dark green leaves. And the very thin stems make it seem the big leaves are almost hovering in the air!

Right, this is a shot from above, looking down on magnifica. This is another big leaved Hoya, but the leaves are thin and pubescent. It wants to clime, so I recently moved it to one of the 5" hanging pots. And I put it in the GH. I think this is going to be a good grower for me.






H. naumanii (left) is one I'm not sure I'm going to like. Look at the new leaves (center) - they're kind of crinkly and gnarly looking. I'm starting to wonder if this one might be an eriostemma, but I don't think so from what I've read. Maybe that's just how they start out, I don't know. Well, at least it's growing, I guess... I can always trade it off if I decide I don't like it.


Right is 'Dee's Big One', which I got from Awanda last summer. It's a carnosa cultivar with particularly big leaves. I imagine the flowers are typical carnosa. It's started growing, so I imagine I'll be moving it to one of the 5" hanging pots soon, too. Where will I hang all these plants as they grow???



And last one for today is thompsonii (right). I can guarntee that this one is going to be a favorite of mine. The fuzzy leaves that are silver flecked are beautiful! I can't wait for it to get big! It's got some new spring growth on it, so I may not have to wait long!


Overall, everything is doing well. These warm days have gotten me in the mood for some real spring spruce up with my plants. I can't wait til I can start putting them out!



































































1 Comments:

At 6:52 PM, Blogger Julie said...

I am wondering just how many individual Hoyas you actually have!!! If anyone can get one to grow, it certainly would be YOU! These are all unique...lots of fun!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home