Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Got my hair cut yesterday.  My stylist has been doing my hair for a bazillion years and I've worn it basically the same way all that time.  A year or so ago, I took her a photo of what I wanted and I think I might have said something like, "Like this, but maybe not QUITE so short..." because it WAS a radical change.  And I liked it.  Well, last time she cut it, she didn't go short enough - by the time I go to her, no matter how long I'm wearing it, I'm way, WAY too shaggy, and she did lop off a lot of it, but it got shaggy too fast for me, so I figured it wasn't short enough.  So I took the pic back with me this time, but I didn't say "not quite so short" this time and, WOW, is it short!!  I'm getting ready to wash it and see what I can do with it.  I mean, it FEELS great!  But I just hope I don't look like a 12 year old tom-boy!  LOL!  Guess we'll see. 

All three of my Hoya fungii are starting to grow.  I think the one in semi-hydro was the first, but I see new growth on the other two now, too.  How will they do this year?  Last year wasn't a great year for fungii.  It used to be such a good one for me until my main plant took a nose dive.  I started several cuttings, the one in semi-hydro and a few others, some of which I sold.  I kept the one in S/H and one in soil and then I kept the mother plant - it had one vine that had remained looking relatively healthy.  Well, that one vine is starting some new growth back about a foot from the pot.  I really, really need to take it down this year and unpot, shake off the old soil and put some new on.  This thing gets SO dry SO fast, and I'm sure that is some of the problem.  It's already in a big pot, but I guess maybe it needs an even bigger one...

I just took down 'Dee's Big One' to water it and it is infested with scale.  I'm so pissed...  I lopped off two long, fairly bug-free vines and soaked them in dishwater for about half an hour, inspected them carefully and I've got them in a glass of water until I can take time to pot them up.  I put the mother plant away from other plants and I'll put it outside the moment it's warm enough.  Of course, I treated it with BATS - we'll see if I can salvage it.  I'm amazed at how quickly those things can take over a plant.  And where the heck did they come from??  Dang!

Mark has started on my bedroom closet.  Well, barely.  He got a nail gun and compressor, so he framed the ceiling so he can put some cedar on the ceiling, which I hope he'll get done today.  Then he's going to cedar the bottom 2/3 of the closet, up to the trim piece, then we're going to put cedar shelves up to that point to turn it into a linen closet.  With the big walk-in closet downstairs, I don't really need another closet for hanging clothes up here.  I'll have to post photos of all this soon...

My Dischidia ovatas seem to all be blooming right now.  I have the one in the kitchen in a seashell, two in the sunroom and one in the GH.  The one in the GH is the rounder/fatter leaved clone I got from the UNO greenhouse. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home