Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Monday, February 14, 2011

And to continue on with my observations about new growth on my Hoyas...



H. bordenii - One that will be a future favorite, I'm sure! This is the one I got as a cutting from Dee last summer and when I pulled it from the box, the one and only leaf popped off the stem. I almost cried because the leaf as so pretty! Well, not giving up, I planted both stem and leaf. Stem died quickly, but the leaf rooted. But, of course, I knew that didn't mean much. I root popped leaves all the time, but had never had one actually produce new growth. Well, about 2 months later, I went to water it and there was a little vine coming from the soil! I was ecstatic! Well, it's already got a new vine shooting off for this spring.
H. pubicalyx 'Royal Hawaiian Purple' - I put it in the south window in my sunroom a few months ago. It's washed out some of the older leaves, which I think will fade back to green when the sun moves a little further north. But it does have new growth on it - that pretty purple growth. I hope it blooms soon - the flowers are stunning!
H. obovata, speckled clone - I pulled it off the shelf today and - YIKES! - found a cluster of scale on one of the tips!! It sits on the same shelf with that darned limoniaca that I got from Gardino's that I fought scale on. I think it's licked on limoniaca, but apparently they spread before I got it under control. I'm going to treat every plant on those shelves for safe measure. But on a positive note, speckled obovata has a nice, stiff new vine with new leaf buds!
H. thompsonii - This Hoya could eventually be in my top 10 favorites. I love the very dark green, very fuzzy, very succulent leaves. It's got a teeny sprig of new growth, up close to the original growth. I'm really anxious for this one to get big!
H. cagayanensis - Not really one of my favorites at all, but a good little grower nonetheless. I prefer the more succulent species, and this one has very think leaves. But it was a fast rooter and has grown like crazy since I got it. And it seems to be taking off from every angle - I'll likely be sharing this one this year.
H. sp. 'Square Leaf' - I am so excited about this one! I got it twice from Plumrindr last summer and they both came so badly dehydrated, the weren't salvageable... Well, let me revise that... The first one died, quickly. The second one I kept through the winter, but it always looked (and still does) grossly dehydrated. I expressed my disappointment on GW when the second one came to me in such bad shape and some very nice person sent me a little slip of it. I put that little 4 leaf slip in my rooting aquarium and watched over it until I felt it could come out. It was so small, I went ahead and put it in the pot with the other Plumrindr cuttings and watered, but pretty much ignored it all winter except to water when dry. I pulled it out today and a few of the Plumrindr cuttings had died, two of them were still every bit as dehydrated as they looked last fall, so I cut them off and (since there was some white sap) poked them down in the rooting aquarium to see if they'll fatten up now that we're approaching spring. But lo and behold, there was that little sprig of 'Square Leaf' I got from that kind GWer, just as perky as can be and with a teeny-tiny growth nubbin! I'm SO excited! I wish I could remember who sent it to me. I almost ALWAYS put a new Hoya on my list with who sent it to me, but I didn't want to jinx it by putting it's name on the list before I knew that it was viable... I'll have to look back through my blogs and see if I documented who sent it to me...
H. revoluta - This is the one that looks a lot like micrantha, leaves are just a bit bigger. Found a new vine reaching out.
H. oreogena - Another cutting I got from Dee. Looking happy and growing!

More to come!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home