Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Monday, April 29, 2013

Sunday the 28th...

I'm so pissed - I spent the better part of Thursday putting my succulents outside.  It's been beautiful.  Well, now they're predicting that it's going to get down into the 30's at night and highs of 40's during the day starting Wednesday.  They say it will rain and we may even get some snow!  How much does that SUCK?!!  This spring is making me crazy.  I'm thinking I may just throw some plastic around the shelves and let the plants tough it out.  I guess we'll see...

I have a lot of cleaning to do today and tomorrow, but I'm also going to be doing some watering and making some notes here.  Everything is really popping right now - the plants seem to believe it's really spring, even though the weather does not seem to be cooperating.

Hoya inconspicua - leaves are fat and firm and the peduncles (and there are about a bazillion of them) seem to be fuzzing-up, so I think it's going to start pumping out flowers here very soon.  Here's a photo of the entire plant:
...and a closeup of the leaves...
It's a smallish Hoya, leaves right about an inch long.  Very easy to grow, thankfully.  I got it at the same time I got davidcummingii, which did very well for me the first year then went to shit.  I have a piece that continues to hang on - I guess we'll see what happens with it this year...

Hoya lacunosa continues to do well.  I had to restart it... was it last year?  My huge main plant was in dire need of being transplanted and when I did so, it was NOT happy.  So I started several cuttings in my own soil (because you can never really get rid of all the awful soil on EA plants...) and once it get established, it grew and it's been blooming off and on all winter.  Here's the plant now...

It really looks pretty good for a complete restart from a year ago (even two if I'm off by a year.)  But I would like it to produce some new growth closer to the soil line, so I pinched new growth on the three longest stems.  I don't know if that will do the trick clear up by the soil line, but I can always root some cuttings and put them in there later if I need to.  Here's a flower from today:

The photo turned out good!  I used my tripod, which always helps.  Love those super-fragrant little flowers!

Hoya cv. 'Mathilde' - I talked recently about how well it's doing after it was in decline last year.  I thought I'd post a new photo of her...

It's shiny and the leaves are fat and hard.  It's got new growth and new peduncles forming.  I think it's going to be a very good year for 'Mathilde'!

Monday the 29th...

I sent out one of my Hoya kerriis I rooted a couple years ago.  I'll miss it - it had this one interesting leaf on it...
Pretty, extra deep heart.  The dang box went over 1 lb. by 3/10 of an ounce, so it cost me an extra $3 to send it!  So much for making money on my plants.  I can't seem to adequately estimate weight...

I also sent Amber some cuttings of my favorite Dischidia...

Grrr... why don't photos stayed turned??  Anyway, it's D. oiantha.  I think she'll like it!

Well, I have a lot to do, so I'd better get off my duff!


1 Comments:

At 5:28 PM, Blogger Tigerdawn said...

I wonder if I have anything you'd be willing to trade for a cutting of your Mathilde. It is beautiful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home