Succulent Ramblings

I like to ramble on about my plants... and other things! My hope is to log the progress of plants and talk about my frustrations with others. So, tune in, turn on, or drop out (if you find it boring!)

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Today is Wes's birthday... He's 52.  Geezy-peezy!  My little brother is 52!  Boy, do I feel OLD.  It got me thinking - we were both in our 30s when he and Sally moved to Indiana.  Wow.  I sure wish he was closer...

It's early - 6 a.m.  I'm just waiting for the sun to come up so I can start working in the GH.  I can't believe the B.S. that we call "weather" around here!  It's April 30th and I had to turn on the A/C after dinner last night 'cuz I knew it would be too unbearable in here to sleep.  It got up to 84 degrees.  Hell, this morning when I got up at 5:00, it was still 72!!  Today will be about 10 degrees coolor, but tonight a cold front will move in and it's going to rain, get down to 48, which is perfect.  The plants I put out can use the rain. And they've been predicting it's going to get cold at night the next few days and I had a plan to wrap the shelf in plastic and put some sleeping bag warmers in there to help.  But guess what?  Now they're predicting we'll get at least a couple inches of SNOW overnight Thursday into Friday!!  WHAT??  I can't leave them out in snow!  Which means I have to bring them all back in.  But I want them to get the rain, too, so my plan is to make room for them today and bring them in sometime tomorrow after they all get a good soaking.  What a hassle!  So today will be "make room" day, and tomorrow will be "carry in" day. 

I got four new bulbs from the CSSA - Kathy ordered them along with some for herself and some for Tom.  I picked mine up on Sunday and here's what they will look like...

Albuca villosa...
Albuca ballii...
Ornithigallum fimbrimarginatum...
...and the flowers...


And last, Oxalis flava...
All the the Ornithigallum are winter growers, so I probably won't see any growth until next fall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home